Summer delights

How to start your day in the NC Summer :

– Brew Coffee
– Slice up locally grown cantaloupe
– eat cantaloupe and drink coffee

Mellons are in season. I have another cantaloupe as well as a locally grown watermellon. If I’m lucky some of the tomatoes my in-laws planted will be ripe today, and I can have tomato sandwiches later today. And for the record :

– Slice Tomato into rounds like for hamburgers
– spread a thick layer of your favorite mayo on two slices of white bread
– cover bottom slice of bread with tomato slices
– Salt
– add a slice of mild cheddar or american cheese
– close sandwich and eat

Man, I’m getting hungry just thinking about it….

9 Responses to Summer delights

1. gardenwaltz says:

our first tomato was ripe yesterday. it was a tiny cherry tomato, just barely ripe, but it came off the bush when i touched it. it was too small for a sandwich, so jeff and i split it right out in the garden. it was a tiny bit tart, but very sweet and crisp.

2. kitashla says:

You need one thing to make that sandwhich perfect.

A couple of slices of Vidalia onion.

You have no idea how happy I am that those things are finally in season.

I do a little salad thing with those and some equal sized balls of freshwater mozzarella, ev olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, and shredded fresh basil & oregano. It takes about 12 tomatoes, though, for two people. SO about a week for you. *grin*

I cannot wait for tomato season to get into full swing. I need some romas for sauces and to freeze for chili. Now if only I could thicken a pasta sauce properly…

4. gardenwaltz says:

ooooh… this sounds very promising. yeah, we should have a dozen in a week.

5. mswilson says:
    > - spread a thick layer of your favorite mayo on two slices of white bread

Must use Duke’s for tomato sandwiches. It’s a moral imperative.

Only when I can get it. Otherwise, I go with Helman’s.

7. kitashla says:

This is the instant indication that I am not technically a southerner, despite my locale.

Hellmens only. Duke’s is the antichrist.:)

8. gukacayuga says: