adding insult to injury

Looks like the car needs some parts – the Service Engine light is related to a cooling fan/sensor, and the headlamp problem is either the motor or the control module.

Also appears that the window tints are too dark to pass inspection. I’m not terribly surprise don the read window, but the sides concern me. Something to worry about fixing in the spring when it’s inspection time, I suppose.

18 Responses to adding insult to injury

1. wander says:

The Service Engine soon light can also be how tight your gas cap is or a warning that you need a new PCV Valve or EGR Valve. On most vehicles it’s got more to do with the intake/exhaust system than anything else. A simple diagnistic ought to be able to tell you what it is. It’s always the EGR valve on mine.

Wander

In this case it’s a warning about a cooling fan and/or the fan+the sensor. Then again, the car just hit 50k miles, so I expect all the warrenty glue is wearing off.

3. wander says:

In some cars those lights are set to go on at a certain number of miles as well. I know on my Mom’s van, it hit 60,000 and the light came on. Even the mechanic that reset it said that was the reason. He showed my Dad how to reset it.

Wander

…my Father-in-Law has an OBD2 reader and software for his palm pilot to talk to the reader. next time I’ll talk to him first – this time I took it to the mechanic because it needed a few other things that my FiL couldn’t do as well.

5. z_kungfu says:

The rear window doesn’t matter for inspection. The only ones to worry about are the windshield and the ones in the doors. The Windshield is fine, I can take a look at the door windows for you. I am licensed in NC for inspections so I’m not talking out my ass. But then I can get it inspected for you anyway…

…now that my “usual” inspector has pointed it out, if I get it passed somewhere else, it could be trouble. I’d hate for a legitimate pass get someone else in trouble ’cause someone was a bit over-zealous, you know?

7. fuzz3 says:

That sounds like a crock… Is it his loss of business that he’s worried about? I don’t see any liability issues…. I’ve known many people who took tint off and re-applied it every year to get around inspections, I don’t think it would be hard to plead the same in your case if there were any trouble.

Just out of curiosity, how does one removed tint from glass when it’s not an add-on layer? from what i can tell, these are darkened windows. If all I ahve to do is lighten them to make them pass every time, I will, just to avoid tha hassle.

And no, my usual guy is honest. When I go to pick up the car tomorrow, I’ll ahve him show me on the chart *EXACTLY* what’s wrong with it. Since he’s not a glass guy, he won’t get paid to fix it, you know?

9. fuzz3 says:

I dunno, I really haven’t been around people who “tint” since high school.. And back then it was usually just an adhesive layer of tinted film applied to the windows..

I dunno of any other way of doing it without the glass being made that way… And I’m betting if the glass is made that way it’s stock, and stock should more than pass inspection.

http://www.tintdude.com/ seems to have some info that might be helpful to you.

Also, dunno if you have a T-top or vert, but be really careful doing anything near the rear window if it’s a t-top… That’s a REALLY expensive piece of glass from what I’ve heard..

It’s a convertable. it’s one fo the few I’ve ever seen with glass in the ragtop. *THAT* has an adhesive tint.

AFAIK, the door windows are stock. I’ll ahve to find out the laws on that.

11. funk_gritty says:

Chances are if your tint is illegal, you’d have been pulled over by now, don’t ya think? I’ve seen plenty of people on the side of the road ripping their tint off right there on the spot.

12. z_kungfu says:

To me it looks like the stock tint, doesn’t look to dark, maybe his meter is not calibrated. I don’t remember the exact percentage of light that has to pass through, but I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

13. z_kungfu says:

never seen that happen… hmmm.. it should but I see illegal tint all the time and no one seems to do anything…

…to keep from being pulled over at the moment. I’ve already had one ticket this year, and I want to keep it that way…

15. funk_gritty says:

My experience is the same. I had illegal tint when I lived in Atlanta and never got hassled, but I’ve actually seen quite a few people ripping their tint off on the side of the road, with a cop watching.

16. funk_gritty says:

Ahhhh….rolling down the power windows at the first sight of a cop eh?

See, that’s just it – if they’re illegal, they’re on the very edge. this is the first I’ve been told that it won’t pass inspection.

18. funk_gritty says:

But if the cop who pulls you over was denied booty from his wife the night before, I’m betting it will be close enough to get you a ticket…