Kevin:2, Kyocera:0

Looks as if I killed another cel phone today. I’ll have to call it in or something between meetings tomorrow.

I hate not having a cel phone. I might have to re-consider the palm/phone integration thing – while it’s VERY cool, and exceptionally useful, if you break one, you break both. *sigh*

14 Responses to Kevin:2, Kyocera:0

1. ovrclokd says:

treo 650 will be out within a month…

and the 600 is damn sturdy, as evidenced by the one that came back (after a pretty thorough cleaning with alcohol and enough time to dry) to life after its unintentional orange-juice bath.

I really like both graphitti and the form factor on the Kyocera and Samsung smartphones. A treo has always felt more like a PDA and less like a phone, whereas my Kyocera is a phone that happens to have a PDA integrated into it.

of course, both are gigantic compared to my wife’s Nokia…

3. z_kungfu says:

Do you have the $5/mth insurance?

Yes, I just need to find out how to claim on it and what the ETA on a new phone would be.

5. gardenwaltz says:

i’m considering replacing my ancient kyocera 6035. has the treo, but i’ve just got to have the graffiti.

6. labrown says:

Who’s service do you have? I’ve got Verizon and they seem to never have the PDA phones I want. :-\

and they have the one I want/like, I’m just re-thinking the wizdom of a unified device after this little incident.

8. labrown says:

And that would be a what?

Kyocera 7135 – that’s the phone I have, and like. I’ll probably end up replacing this one straight up, if I can.

10. labrown says:

*drool*drool*slobber*slobber*

I’ve got a 6035 and would love to upgrade to the 7135 but cannot justify the cost to myself yet. I didn’t get the 6035 until after the 7135 came out and Verizon was selling it for $99.00 bucks with a contract.

yeah, it’s awsome, but if I have to replace out of pocket, that’ll hurt pretty bad right now. I’m hoping the insurance takes care of it.

12. h_postmortemus says:

I had a 6035 for a long time (still have it tucked away, although it’s only semi-functional). I looked long and hard at the 7135 and the Treo 600. I didn’t want to give up Graffiti or the voice-activated dialing features.

But at the time, the 7135 wasn’t a good option because a) Sprint wasn’t carrying it and b) there was that whole exploding battery thing.

Plus I didn’t want to go to PalmOS 4 when 5 had been out a while and 6 is in the works. AND the fact that I’d still be on a lower-end Motoroal chipset.

So I made the plunge and got the Treo 600. I’ve not regretted it in the slightest. In fact, the only thing I regret is that I wasn’t able to hold on until the 650 comes out, since it has a hi-res screen and a lot of software I want to run is only available for hi-res modes.

(A treo 600 can be had pretty cheap now thanks to rebates, and probably even cheaper once the 650 comes out).

Frankly, the keyboard kicks ass since you can do one-handed input, and generally work most apps quicker and easier than with grafitti. There’s a number of extensions you’d want to install, and you can even enable grafitti support, just on the screen.

Now, as for the wisdom of a converged device, I think it’s still a good idea. Yes, you can be screwed if it breaks but that’s true for just a plain cell phone, PDA, laptop, etc. That’s why you buy insurance (in my case, a three-year extended warrantry with best Buy), and learn to be careful with your device.

‘sides, you can buy a really cheap, minimal cellphone that works with your service and keep it in reserve. Then when you nice SmartPhone dies, call up the cell company and switch service to the backup phone.

13. ovrclokd says:

the treo has graffiti – you just need a free app to enable it. it comes with the graffiti2 libs, but i’m so accustomed to the original graffiti (it’s faster, dammit – i don’t want more-like-handwriting on a pda if that makes input slow down) that i dug around in google and figured out how to swap them out.

the flip phones are definitely “more like a phone” – but you trade off functionality for the flip. the samsung doesn’t have an expansion slot (i use my sd card in my treo for everything from automatic backups to mp3 & ebook storage), and the kyocera wasn’t as well integrated – the one i saw (7135) you couldn’t access the phone & pda at the same time, so if you were on the phone with someone and wanted to give them a phone number out of your address book, you had to hang up, look it up, then call them back with it…

Actually on the 7135 (which I have) you can access the phone and PDA functions at the same time – you just need to put it on speakerphone or use the headset to actually talk to the person while you do it. Maybe you saw an older model, or the person showing it to you didn’t know what they were talking about.

I’m still not sold on graffiti2, but I’m adapting. Some things I like about it, like the punctuation integration. Some things not so much – like you, I’m not sold on the 2-stroke letter thing.

And I’m all about the SD card. I’m contemplating the SD Camera as an add on right now. Instand cameraphone+pda….