Tiger Cubs: First meeting

Well, it was a little disorganized, a little ADD, a lot crazy…

…and I could do this for the rest of my life. Maybe not with Tigers, but if this is what my adult leaders felt when *I* was a Scout, well, I understand why they did it long after their own children grew up and moved on.

7 Responses to Tiger Cubs: First meeting

1. measured_chaos says:

*sigh* We’ve lost you to the dark side of the Force. ;)

Glad you had fun!

2. wander says:

I used to be a professional with Old North State Council BSA in NC. Although my background is more in Boy Scouting, I had to love the cub scout volunteers the most. And not only because most of the parents were extremely good looking single mothers either. The Tiger/Cub Scout folks just seem to have the most fun. I used to schedule an outing twice a year just for the cub scout volunteers. They are a blast.

Wander

I grew up here, and I know a little of ONS Council – But I’m an Occoneechee boy, and always have been *grin*

This is an increadibly active pack from the parent perspective, and we’re very lucky. I have the funny feeling, though, that I’m going to put myself in line for the Cubmaster job before too long…after I’ve been all the Den Leaders with Ray. *grin*

Just out of curiosity,. how does one end up a Professional Scouter? The good kind, and not an office jockey?

4. wander says:

It’s something I always wanted to do ever since I was in scouts in the Washington DC Area. We had an extremely influential district exectutive named Rick Callahan who gave me a lot of tips and pointers. I even job shadowed him a bit after high school. You have to have a 4 year degree in anything you want. You apply through the Scout Executive of your local council and then your app goes on to the Region who sets up an interview with the Area Director who used to be Wallace Potts for your area. After a bunch of interviews they say you are qualified to be employed and your name and resume goes into an employable file. Generally you can pick areas of the country you would like to consider. Then you sit back and wait for the offers to come in. when you get an offer from a council, they have to arrange for you to come interview on their dime. So if you choose the West Coast for example and the LA council wants to take a look at you, they have to fly you out there and put you up and all that. During the dog and pony show it’s like you were a high school football star. They try to convince you to come there by showing you the company cars, the golf courses in your proposed district and so on. My origianl interview was in East Carolina Council (where my Dad is a big time volunteer now). Occonecee (better known as you can eat me council) looked at me as did Daniel Boone Council and lastly Uwharrie Council. I chose Uwharrie and chose to live in Lexington, the BBQ Capital of NC. Then a couple years later Uwharrie merged with General Greene to form ONSC. It’s a labor of love really. It doesn’t pay as well as it could but it has it’s perks. It caries with it a high divorce, drug abuse and alcoholism rate. I fell into the divorce category which is when I left the profession. But still, its’ a good job.

W

Well, I’m out then, ’cause I’ve got nothing past a high school diploma. I’m not surprised at the divorce/dug/alcohol rate s- that’s *VERY* typical for any organization like this. Although it’d be more interesting to get away with some of it now, given the new safety rules, regs & etc.

Maybe I’ll just do the volunteer thing instead. Less pressure, similar rewards. The hard part is adjusting to the Leader side of things.

And I can’t wait until I can be more involved with the OA again. That was my labor of love when I was a Scout.

(FYI – the last thing you need to explain to me is the one true BBQ. Hell, I grew up here, I know real BBQ *grin*)

…so much as me infiltrating them. Change comes from inside, and not outside in these organizations, and I’m providing a role model in myself as well.

Scouts helped make me the person I am. Think about that for a bit…. :)

7. measured_chaos says:

I just got a mental of hundreds of mini s running about the Triangle.

I’m afraid. I’m very, very afraid. ;)