um yeah

another busy day, but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel that I’ll have help soon.

Did 10K on the bike and a little over 1K on the treadmill.

Gonna try to cut back on eating meat before dinner time. The one exception is Sushi & sashimi, and I’m trying to limit that to once a week. At least I can go all-veggie at Bali Hai.

Roasted Garlic Hummus makes my day. Might make my co-workers’ day as well…I think I need a mint or five.

15 Responses to um yeah

1. detritus says:

If only you had some ginger altoids.

2. measured_chaos says:

Why are you cutting back so drastically on meat?

Protein is a good thing[tm] and sushi/sashimi is one of the healthier choices.

3. z_kungfu says:

weak! Bali Hai with no meat? What you trying to be Jacob? Say it ain’t so……. we’ll see on Thursday.

Atkins, I think, was full of shit. It’s hard to argue with centuries of healthy vegetarians/light eaters of meat vs. about a decade or two of “low carb”.

In the end it’s about calories, anyway, not protien vs. starch. Proteins with starch in a balance. And I can balance without meat.

Sushi/Sashimi is a good source of all kinds of things – including the good kind of fats – the kinds you don’t always get in ham and beef.

I’m better off getting my proteins from fish and nuts than red meat.

My heart, ass, and gut agree.

That being said, I *KNOW* I’m not getting enough fiber (est not go into details about how I know). I also eat way too many fatty foods – mostly meat! – and not enough fruits & veggies.

I also know I sit on my ass way too much, but I can fix that pretty easily. *grin*

I can change all these things, but I have to set an attainable goal that isn’t torture (outside the gym/workout area). Oh, and back on the no soda-just coffee/water/tea regime. Mostly water after lunch….

5. measured_chaos says:

I said nothing of Atkins, actually. ;)

I also never said vegetarians are not healthy even though many can get anemic and low on B vitamins if they are not careful.

I agree that you are better off getting your proteins from nuts and fish. I’d even go so far as to say free range turkey and chicken are good sources of protein as well.

Fiber is easy. Cut up raw veggies and snack on them at work throughout the day. That’s what I do no matter if I am home or out. Fibercon tablets (which I also take to give an extra boost to my pissed off liver) work well and require you to drink tons of water unless you wish to be totally stopped up. I’m about to go the no soda/no caffeine/no coffee/just decaf tea and water route myself. I always feel better when I do.

Cutting out red meat is commendable. Cutting back on sushi and sashimi is just plain wrong. Hence why I said what I said in my initial comment. ;) Meat != cow.

Veggies are hotter alone that with meat. Dunno why, but a D9 with meat doesn’t seem as hot as the D9 without.

…for my weekly sushi/sashimi in the initial post. Not only is it a good source of protein, I NEED MY RAW FISH.

ahem

I have a sushi problem. I can eat sushi 4 out of five days (and have). Problem is, it’s not inexpensive. *grin* So to keep budget under control, once a week.

But yeah, I owe yu an appology about the atkins jab – I hear “low carb/more protein” and like many people think “atkins” – my bad. And I know the risks of B12 deficencies, and etc. I’ve known far too many vegans/vegetarians to not know what to make up for.

And I’ll stil be having red meat with dinner. Or chicken or ham or whatever Renee feels like cooking. I’m just cutting back, not cutting out, as it were.

8. measured_chaos says:

I did Atkins for awhile so no apologies needed. I did not like the amount of fat I was eating so I did a modified Atkins where I ate more veggies and less fatty meats. I still eat low carb in that I eat loads of whole grains, fruits, veggies and heart healthy protein. I juice quite a bit and occasionally eat whole grain breads and pastas. I love oatmeal and grain puddings. I tend to stay away from processed foods, sugars and regular pastas in great quantity. Hence I eat low carb but not Atkins. :)

My opinion of Atkins is that if you are obese or severely overweight or on the flip side have a quick ten you want to lose, Atkins can be a good thing. It requires a minimum of three cups of veggies a day, allows for some dairy and red meat and is ludicrously easy to follow. If that helps people lose a bit of weight, I think they should go for it. After the induction, it gets healthier by adding in more veggies and fruit and reducing the fatty dairy and meat intake IF people do it properly. The problem is few follow the diet properly and the diet has been overrun by processed products.

Yeah I caught the once a week sushi indulgence. :P I, too, could eat sushi/sashimi every day of the week and like you have to fight the urge. That said, they have relatively inexpensive sushi and sashimi at the area grocery stores. So I tend to get that as often as possible. It’s SO much cheaper than eating out.

I can’t really eat the grocery store stuff anymore…not after I’ve been spoiled by some of the places around here. Plus they don’t sell sashimi (or uni, or amiebi…mmm, urchin and shrimp heads…*drool*….*ahem*).

I just need to start eating healtier in general. I eat like crap, and this will help me get on track, I hope.

10. measured_chaos says:

Juicing, baby! It’s a way of life, let me tell you.

I’m even upgrading from a random attachment juicer to the king of all juicers. I’m just hoping Jays ignores the $459 price tag that comes with owning the king of all juicers. But since I’ll be juicing at least twice a day, I think it’ll be worth it.

It better be worth it or he’ll have my head and maybe a few other body parts to juice as pay back!! :X

11. measured_chaos says:

You must inform me of some of these places you know…

SHARE the KNOWLEDGE!

Pls. K. Thx.

The Tokyo or modern/urban places are :

Sushi Blues on Glenwood in Raleigh
    Sushi Thai on Kildare in Cary (or the one in Raleigh, but the Cary one is better)
    Asuka on 54 in Morrisville (hmm, need to go there soon – maybe when this quarter is over)
    Waraji on 70 in Raleigh

And these two, which I think are more Osaka and consider a bit more authentic and provincial, so my usual group isn’t as into them much:

Sushi Tsune on Hillsboro in Raleigh (haven’t been there in a while)
    Kashin in Crossroads in Cary

I see more Japanese people eating at Kashin, Sushi Tsune, and Waraji than anywhere else.

Haven’t been to the places in Durham yet. Too long a drive from here. And the two places I’ve been in Chapel Hill SUCK.

13. ovrclokd says:

i’ll go to kashin with you any time, even given the 45-minute drive across town. i’ve been addicted to them since and i used to go every week or so and try one new thing every time until we ran out of new things… :)

haven’t tried sushi tsune yet – but it looks like i need to.

Haven’t been to the places in Durham yet. Too long a drive from here.

shiki sushi, off 54 & fayetteville, isn’t *that* far to drive – and they have baby octopus! i think they’re the only place in the triangle that i’ve found it so far… and i like fuji – off 54/55 – for lunch, too.

And the two places I’ve been in Chapel Hill SUCK.

sushi yoshi and akai hana? or has chapel hill sprouted another one that i haven’t discovered yet?

and what didn’t you like? and i get down to sushi yoshi pretty regularly, since it’s arguably the closest – nothing to write home about, but i wouldn’t say it sucks, either.

The only palces UI’ve bene in Chapel Hill are the conveyor belt place at franklin & columbia (next to the Kinko’s) and it’s fair, in all honesty. I don’t think the other palce is stll there…then again, it’s been two years since I’ve had sushi in Chapel Hill.

Kashin has had baby octobus, and I’ve gotten it at Sushi Thai as well. Kashin also had snails once, and man, *THAT* was yummy.

The best part is watching my co-workers faces when I eat some of this stuff. Tastes great, grosses out the co-workers. Doesn’t get any better than that!

As to the drive to RTP, that’s at least half-an-hour to an hour one way from the office, depending on traffic. And they want me to keep close to an hour lunch, so I only go out that way for special reasons. Like lunch with a friend. *grin*