Job musings

So this week I’m hoping to hear back about an internal job switch. Yeah, Sales is a nice place to be for the $$, but there’s too much uncertainty, and the whole attitude of the reps really wears on me.

The only career paths for me right now are “outside sales and relocate” or “loose commission, raise base, and change groups” – and renee won’t move. Can’t say as I blame her – we’re happy where we’re at, all the outside slots are in places I hate, and while the money is good, the travel is a major minus.

So I did some talking, and I’m hoping to have an interview with RHN either this week or next, and going back to programming. There’s a real chance to “move up” in programming – team lead, manager, stuff like that. Also, it gives me a good launching point internally to go into product management or related things down the road.

Strangely, I think the base increase vs. the loss of the sales bonuses evens out, when we look at tax rates, actual revenue, and how much in debt I get between bonuses.

With any luck, I can go back to about what I was making at wZ, or slightly higher.

My only worry is that I haven’t talked to sales management about this, just RHN and my direct manager. The sales managers might have…issues…with me looking to get out. I suppose I need to break it to them this week.

Wish me luck on that last one….

6 Responses to Job musings

1. katzj says:

Good for you. And although sales management may have some problems, they should also understand your reasoning (since it’s quite solid and should be understandable). Also, if your direct manager already knows and you think that people above him will care, then it’s likely they already know as well. That’s part of why the internal process works like it does.

And also (again), even if they have problems with it, that’s realistically their problem and they’ll just have to deal :)

Best of luck.

2. katzj says:

Wow, wandering-ific. I think it mostly makes sense, though.

It’s not the upper management I expect to have issues with, it’s the two bottom managers in the group. And the reps – although the reps keep trying to suck me in with a “one of us” mentality.

But yeah, it makes sense, and GDK was all over me when I asked about working over there.

We’ll see if I get an interview this week, or next, or if it’s after our beach trip. I’d love to come back, though, from vacation, and have a new desk in a new group.

4. jay says:

As long as you know you have a place you can land and contribute to the company, it would be a very short sighted vision for any management to have “issues” with an internal tap. It’s not like you are quitting the company or are leaving them hanging. You are just fighting the good fight on another front.

Another way to look at it, is that you have cross trained on the sales side and can bring the experience of knowing what has sold, would sell, and could sell to product development arms of the company. Sales intelligence can be valuable in product development that attempts to address a specific market.

In short, you could help make for a better selling product/service by working on the delivery side than the sales side of the equation. Plus, you are plugged in at different levels now than just someone brought in to do development.

You know, most people have that same attitude. But there’s a real attitude in the inside sales group that’s starting to rub me the wrong way. Mostly from the newest manager.

I think I’ve gotten a lot from being in sales. It’s a perspective I probably couldn’t have gotten anywhere else – about all I hvae left to be in this industry is marketing and management. I think I’ll pass on the former.

I’m in a slightly similar boat as you. I’m getting kind of tired of my job and have realized that there aren’t a lot of chances for advancement in this department and so I applied for another job in a different department. I admit that I didn’t tell my boss that I applied. I figured I’d let her know if I got an interview. I just figured that there wasn’t much to tell, but I also didn’t want to create the impression in her head that I’m unhappy and have her treat me differently or try to get rid of me, especially if I didn’t even get an interview. But since I haven’t heard anything, I figure that I didn’t make the cut.

Of course, my quarterly review is tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll find out then if she found out.

Good luck to you!