As if I needed ANOTHER reason to hate FWD

If I ever find out who designed the placement of the oil filter and the crossbars on the Kia Sedona, I’m going to punch him in the face.

Next time I need to change the oil in that car, I’m either taking it to Jiffy-Lube or borrowing ‘s garage.

6 Responses to As if I needed ANOTHER reason to hate FWD

1. ratnix says:

I swear, I’ve never seen a front-wheel-drive that didn’t suck in that regard. Saturn SL2, Dodge Spirit, Chevy Malibu, I have had to pull the passenger-front wheel on each to get to the filter.

The Jeep Wrangler, however, I could put a LayZBoy recliner in the engine compartment to work from.

Actually, that wasn’t the issue. The issue is that it’s a bottom-mount filter, so it hangs upsidedown *JUST* above one of the front support beams. To to it off, there’s a piece of plastic shielding over that whole front section of the undercarrage. So first you have to remove the 6 screws holding *THAT* on, then twist up under there to unscrew the filter. Which is full of oil and spills all over.

There was much swearing about the filter, since it was impossible to get a good grip on and whoever at the dealership put it on last time put it on a little over-tight. *grr*

Of course, I didn’t find out about this until I removed the plastic cover over the *TOP* of th engine. Which appears to be no more than a pretty ting, and serves no useful purpose that I can detect.

I miss the 1974 Valient sometimes. A car you could climb into the front end of and work in if you needed to. Desined by big midwesterners for big midwesterners to work on, you know?

3. clubjuggler says:

I used to change the oil filter in my Saturn SL2 all the time without having to remove the wheel. Sure, it was a bit of a pain, but it wasn’t that bad. Maybe I just got used to it.

4. catherine says:

Hey! Did you get my email this morning?

Yeah, but for some reason I didn’t see it until after I got back from my parents’ house tonight. Dunno why. Anyway, sent oyu a reply, and I would ahve yanked the weaknees drive right away to see if that was the problem. I wish you could get a console on the DirecTiVos like you can the normal ones…

6. maxdwolf says:

At the start of my short, ill-fated career as a mechanic, I worked for a time at Jiffy Lube while attending Lincoln Tech.. Ran across some of the darnedest configurations. Just had to wonder what they were thinking. At least I had a pit to work from.