sounds about right

Compiling the 2.6 kernel is so much nicer than compiling 2.4.

Still no love with the phone on linux USB. doing debug traces unless the kernel panics.

10 Responses to sounds about right

1. psychomagnet says:

You’ll be happy to learn that my BioInformatics certification program is completely LINUX based. Next semester I’ll be neck deep in BIx and LINUX, and although I know it’s worth it, it’s going to be a stretch for this total UNIX bigot.

Any suggestions?

2. jay says:

My last touch with a bioinformatics project saw the last shreds of HP-UX 11i systems being migrated over to Linux/Intel/AMD at about 1/4 the price. Primary concerns then were 64-bit/RAM/etc…

That was a while ago… I’m pretty sure it is all Linux now.

3. z_kungfu says:

Actually I’m starting a new job in a bioinformatics lab Monday. There is a surprising amount of windows in there. The Linux seems to be equalled by the amount of OSX though…

Do you know what Linux distro they’ll be using? I expect it to be either RHEL or SLES.

If it’s RHEL, I’d say get the RHCE certification prep books for a crash course. Hell, see if you can get the contracting firm to run you through the RH133 or RH300as a crash course.

If it’s SLES, good luck. SuSE can be…interesting. And I’m not just saying that as a Red Hat Employee, but as someone who tried it and really, really didn’t like it. There are some good books on it, I’m sure, but I don’t know them.

The LPI courses can be valuable for a beginner, but with your experience, they might be too newbie-ish.

5. beccaj says:

I know several Sun employees who would echo that sentiment. ;)

6. psychomagnet says:

Got to go to the bookstore Monday to pick up the books for my courses and labs. Hopefully one of them will give some indication of the specifics of the platform we’ll be using.

And then we’ll have sushi. Perhaps inviting , and we’ll chat. I’m being pushed over to the Dark Side (just joking, I’m really excited about it)…

7. psychomagnet says:

GSK’s BIx infrastructure is still UNIX all the way. We’ve heard rumors of all of it changing over to Linux within 2 years, but considering how fast we’re still upgrading and adding to the existing architecture with UNIX boxes, I can’t see it happening in twice the time.

I guess I’ll learn soon enough how smart a move it could be.

If that was an invitaiton, I’m going to ahve to decline as I have a lot going on tomorrow, and can’t get out to the park for raw fish. *sob*

but I can’t wait to hear what you’ll be doing. it’s all good stuff, I’m sure.

9. psychomagnet says:

Oh no, not necessarily tomorrow. Just sometime before Christmas would be nice.

You know, it wouldn’t hurt to have some kind of LJ/Holiday lunch or after-work drinks thing.

Sounds like a plan. Maybe next week? This week is looking crazy.

And we shoudl do an LJ lunch – it always seems to be night LJ gatherings – which I can’t get to, darn it. Can’t we do a long lunch one time instead? Hmmm…