Package bullshit!

Is there some rule out there that 99% of all RPM SPEC files need to be fixed to do things in a sane manner? You know, RPM provides macros for the install prefix, ./configure, and a whole bunch of other shit.

I swear, I spend half my time repairing fucked SPEC files when I’m playing with a new program….

7 Responses to Package bullshit!

1. ratnix says:

“What I wouldn’t give to have a SPEC generation tool that didn’t suck,” says the person who went from 9 to Fedora without realizing pine had been ganked.

2. clubjuggler says:

So, you’re probably tired of hearing me talk about it by now, but that’s another thing I like about mandrake packages. They make liberal use of macros. Mandrake even includes some macros in their rpm packages that red hat doesn’t (like a %make macro that will figure out how many processors the build computer has and add the appropriate -j option). I don’t remember the last time I made a spec file without using macros…

Actually, I spent about 3 hours on Sunday fixing a SPEC file that had been written for mandrake that used some very unhappy macros that only exist on mandrake. the goal of a spec file is something that works cross platform, right?

Actually, I spent about 3 hours on Sunday fixing a SPEC file that had been written with macros that only exist on Mandrake. Any time a packager writes a distro-specific spec file, they earn a very special spot in the hell I am building.

I’m trying my damnedest to write specs that work on all distros, and not just Mandrake or RHEL or Fedora or $RPM_BASED_DISTRO. What’s the point of a source RPM that ony works on one distro?

Yeah, that’s probably the problem – SPEC generation tools write these fucked up things, and the authors don’t know any better.

Fixed one earlier today that used / as the temp install dir. Nice was to gack a system by building the package as root….

6. deviant_ says:

Yes, there is precisely such a rule. Specfiles suck in really impressive ways, and packagers don’t tend to notice most of them.

7. clubjuggler says:

So, rpms that are specifically targeted to a particular distribution should stick the lowest common denominator? Come on. If the spec file specifies that it’s a mandrake package, don’t be surprised to see mandrake specific macros in the file. It’s not like red hat can’t grab them and put them in their macros file too. It’s all GPL.

The point of a source rpm that only works on one distro is that some distros may have different packaging policies than other ones. For example, how are shared libraries packaged in Red Hat? In mandrake, all shared libraries must be in an rpm package that is formated with the name “lib“. That package should contain only the shared library. Development files (headers) should be in “lib-devel” and any other files the package has should be in “-%version”. Mandrake has added macros to make doing this easy. IIRC, Red Hat doesn’t follow this convention, so I wouldn’t expect them to have those macros. But, since they don’t follow that convention, I wouldn’t expect the rpm to make a lot of sense on Red Hat anyway. It’s specifically setup for mandrake policies and shouldn’t necessarily be cross distro (unless, of course, you can convince Red Hat to do the sane thing with their shared library rpms. ;-)