Politics

Must resist urge to counter blind liberal dogma that everything is Bush’s fault. People tend to forget that while a lot of the economic problems came to light under Bush, most were started under Clinton.

These are, of course, the same people who will blame Bush for the dot-bomb crash, when it started in late 1999/early Y2K.

And I’m no Bush fan, mind you. I just hate to see people – normally intelligent people – get this wrong. Sure, Bush has fucked up a lot, but he’s not to blame for every evil we’re currently experiencing. And Clinton (I hate to admit) was a better President in a lot of areas. But, my god, the worship and the blind eye toward the man’s shortcomings make my stomach churn. Same way the blind worship many normally sane moderate Republicans give Bush.

7 Responses to Politics

1. fractalmind says:

i don’t think people blindly worship clinton. also, i disagree with your statement that “People tend to forget that while a lot of the economic problems came to light under Bush, most were started under Clinton.” truly modern economic problems started as far back as LBJ and were exasperated past the point of no return by Mr. QuickFix Reagan. i have studied Reaganomics and too much evidence points to his mismanagement of the budget and deficit. to blame clinton when he actually fixed a lot of economic problems (i won’t get into his foreign policy which is above and beyond anything any republican has every accomplished since the 50s) is unfair and imho, short sighted. he was not perfect but history has shown him to be one of the most efficient and effective presidents in the last century.

you are 100% correct that bush is not responsible for every evil. but he is responsible for a lot of evil.

btw, why do you hate to admit Clinton was a better president?

2. fractalmind says:

and no… this did not piss me off. i figured it was time for one of our pleasant debates…

or. maybe not. *shrug*

You’ve been away from Chapel Hill for too long. There’s a very liberal sect out there that hold to the line that Clinton was damn close to the second comming. *sigh*

I’l conceed your points as tpo the historic origins of a lot fo today’s problems. Hell, I’d extend some as far back as JFK (Which, I suppose is a heresy to the baby boomers).

I’ll admit Clinton fixed some (lots of) economic problems. but he was handed a nice setup from Bush Sr (who was a helluvalot better than W, although holding the usual Republican difficulties). But you also have to conceed that things were already coming unraveled in the spring of 2000, and that it’s very doubtful if Gore could ahve fixed what was going wrong at the time.

it’s too late to second guess history – I mean, it’s history. And it’s impossible to imaging how Gore (or McCain, or Clinton) would have handled 9/11/2001 – that’s a test no President should ever have to undergo.

As to the last – I hate to admit he was a better president because I didn’t like him from the outset. he did a lot of good, he built on the Carter tradtions of peace (and Carter, I’m learning, was underapreciated) and compromise. While I didn’t look forward to The Clinton term, it turned out a lot better than I had anticipated.

Bush is turning out a *LOT* worse. Significantly worse. I can’t wait for him to be out of office. Unfortuantely, the alternatives don’t look too good yet.

And am I the only one who’s seeing a Democratic theme of “Put us in office and everythign will magically be better”?

That’s cool. Although it’s my crash tiome *grin*

hey, when are you gonna post pics of you and the family? Even I’ve updated more recnetly than you on that score, and I’m slack as hell *grin*

5. fractalmind says:

the second coming of is something prevalent everywhere unfortunately. clinton did a lot of quick fixes as well. i concur that gore would NOT have been able to maintain clinton’s rate of repair. i was VERY upset when he got the democratic go-ahead for running. gore was not what we needed. that said, ANYTHING and ANYONE would have been better than bush.

i lived in SA during apartheid. i was in belfast when the elementary school was bombed in the middle of an IRA/Brit fight. terrorism is nothing new for me. that said, 36,500 children in the world starved to death on 9-11. no one talks about those numbers. bush was not the hero of 9-11. giuliani was. bush used 9-11 to pursue his own means and issues using american fear to push through legislature that never should have been passed. the man is a despot. he did not react as a president should. he reacted with the force and vigor of a tyrant.

we will never improve the men we vote into office until we change the system. once upon a time people became presidents and rose to the honour, challenges and demands therein. they did not debase the title and use it for their own means. i think, for whatever clinton was as a president that he was able to rise to the challenge and assume the mantle respectfully. he goofed. all presidents goof. they are but mere men. bush debases the title and all the honour that goes with it. he should be ashamed of himself.

howard dean. check him out. he is someone i can respect to date. and no, putting a dem in office will not solve one damn thing. changing the system will.

6. fractalmind says:

ditto. it is bedtime here as well. we can continue this manana.

my scanner is a P.O.S. also, i am undergoing major depression here so i am not as swift on anything in life. the days i get drue to school on time, take a shower and keep myself together are good days. we won’t discuss the bad days. :\

7. bzial says:

Well, the problem with partisanship in general is everyone seems to just obsess over how godlike their chosen candidate is. I went to a sickenly liberal college will President Bill Clinton probably could have gunned someone downed and justified it and now I live and work in an environment where no matter what Commander in Chief Bush does people seem to worship him as the greatest man of the last fifty years.

Well the thing with the cyclical economy is policies put in place by the President can help manipulate the cycle. Many aspects of the economy are simply unrelated to anything the Presidents could control. The so-called ‘new economy’ was just going to naturally implode on its own for instance and having Islamofascist terrorists slam planes into our financial center certainly has an effect on things.

Though I’m a bit concerned with the Commander in Chief’s economic planning, since while I don’t think the economic situation his fault, bad planning policy can make the situation worse in the long run. Promoting tax cuts without reigning in spending, but instead increasing it for instance doesn’t strike me as a recipe for helping the economy along.

Part of the CiC’s campaign platform seemed to be based around economic planning that rested on the axiom that the US would sustain its 90s levels of growth for another decade as well.

It is going to take a few years before I suppose we can objectively judge how he’s handling things in that realm though.